First Peas to the Table Contest
First Peas to the Table contest is inspired by St. Louis author, Susan Grigsby’s award winning book “First Peas to the Table.” Youth gardeners will compete to get their peas to the table first!
Each participating class will receive seed peas and a copy of the “First Peas to the Table.” Winners will be awarded a sign to post in their garden and then Susan Grigsby will visit to talk to the children about writing and publishing in addition to how gardening inspires her writing.
In order to compete:
1. Gateway Greening School & Youth Garden leaders register for the competition.
2. Pick up seed peas and “First Peas to the Table” for each participating classroom. Books and seeds will be available at the Gateway Greening Office, 2211 Washington Avenue, 63103.
3. Plant your seeds starting on February 29th. Take photos of the youth planting!
4. Tend peas.
5. Harvest and document the harvest!
6. Submit photos and harvest dates and weights to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 18th.
Award categories include:
First peas harvested
Largest single harvest by weight
Largest pea pod harvested
Most creative pea trellising
Tallest pea plant
Best pea-inspiring writing
Best pea-inspired art